Empowering citizens to create sustainable neighbourhoods
Sensing Local Foundation wants to raise 5 Lakhs to build a digital platform and tools that help convert projects focused on increasing inclusivity, liveability and sustainability in cities into replicable ‘Solution Modules’, in order scale up adoption and impact.
We all know that urban growth has become synonymous with environmental degradation, and all cities are struggling to tackle the crisis of air pollution, water scarcity, waste management, climate change and now COVID! This is both common knowledge and presents as an extremely urgent challenge particularly because of its exaggerated impact on the urban poor that already struggle on a day to day basis with little to no safety nets. Yet it is the scale and complexity of these issues makes them terribly hard to solve.
At Sensing Local our principle approach has been to break down these issues into more solvable portions at the scale of a ward. For example, if we need to solve for waste management at the city level, each ward would need to work towards managing and minimising its own waste within its boundary.
Using this approach we are currently piloting 10 LIVE ward level projects in 10% (20 of 198 wards) of Bengaluru wards that are aimed at achieving 4 key city visions:
- Zero waste to landfill through decentralized processing (BBMP)
- Prioritizing sustainable mobility through encouraging walking, cycling and public transport (DULT)
- Creating COVID safe public spaces through ensuring social distancing, hand sanitation and use masks (BBMP)
- Increasing water security through re-use, recycling and recharge
The projects being developed in these individual wards are already highly suited and in great demand to be adopted across wards in Bengaluru and in other cities. Now, our aim is to convert these projects into ‘Solution Modules’ that can be disseminated through a digital platform and easily replicated across all wards. This will negate the need for each ward or community group to start from scratch and converting deep, hands on learnings from our pilot projects into predictable, time bound, easily adoptable solutions.
The components of each 'Solution Module'
- Repository of Primers ~ to accelerate knowledge of the sector and prevailing issues
- On-field survey and data collection tools ~ making it easier to use
- Frameworks for Stakeholder mapping and their roles
- Participatory planning process to get public inputs and contextualize interventions
- Framework for budgeting
- Implementation pipeline ~ to bring transparency and predictability
Two important points to note here are that all the projects focus on improving the commons, thus also directly impacting day-to-day lives of the urban poor and working at the ward level offers the best chance include the urban poor in the formal decision making process in a continuous manner for infrastructure planning and improving access to basic services.
About Sensing Local Foundation
Sensing Local is an urban planning do-tank that works towards tackling environmental and public health challenges in Indian cities, with projects tackling air pollution, water management, waste management etc. We also work towards improving urban governance and supporting local communities to become more empowered actors in city making and claiming the city.
- Top Donors
- Recent Donors
- Top Donors
- Recent Donors